Accessibility/Special Needs Committee
Special Needs-Accessibilities committees assist A.A. members who have a variety of challenges to accessing the A.A. message in A.A. meetings, Twelve Step work, and other A.A. services.
How We Serve:
This committee serves to meet the special needs of the disabled members of Alcoholics Anonymous. Our members include:
- Committee members from each group.
- District-committee chairperson.
- Area Committee chairperson.
Handling of a Special Need:
When a need arises that an individual member can’t handle: Individual A.A. member contacts Central Services or a committee member.
For example, to provide an interpreter for a meeting or workshop or to provide tapes or other special resources or assistance to a member.
District or Area committee members contact and assist the disabled member or newcomer.
Who We Serve
- Physically disabled
- Deaf & hearing impaired
- Blind & visually impaired
- Learning or reading impaired
- Seniors & homebound
- Members dealing with a language barrier
- Single parents requiring child care
How We Serve
- Provide interpreters for meetings and events.
- Provide Braille A.A. literature and programs for special needs.
- Assist the physically disabled at events; provide rides in special cases.
- Encourage wheel-chair accessible meetings and events.
- Encourage Big Book tape study meetings in each district.
- Encourage groups to provide childcare.
- Update special-needs information in meeting directories.
- Bring meetings into the home, hospital or long-term care facilities.
- Encourage districts and groups to support regular meetings in special needs facilities.
- Provide literature and hold workshops on special needs.
- Explore other special needs; work with GSO and other districts and areas.
For more information please contact The Special Needs Committee Chair
- Area 50 Committee Overview
- Archives Committee
- Corrections Committee
- Cooperation with the Professional Community Committee (CPC)
- Grapevine Committee
- Public Information Committee
- Accessibility/Special Needs Committee
- Treatment Committee
- Area 50 Website Committee