Find Service That Excites You!
Service opportunities you may not know about.
Our general service area represents the bridge between the groups of Western NY and it’s 8 counties with the rest of our beloved fellowship. Without this connection, we would have no way to participate in AA’s wider decision-making and service structure. This connective tissue, however, is not only large-scale “business meetings”. There are a wealth of service opportunities beyond the group level that you may not know about. We hope you discover some here that inspire you to get involved.
- Coordinate workshops to educate AA members on serving those with diverse needs.
- Help improve the accuracy of the wheelchair-accessible designations in meeting lists.
- Bring a meeting to a homebound or hospitalized member.
- Speak about AA at schools for the blind, the deaf, and developmentally disabled.
- Collect, catalogue and preserve our history.
- Display our archives at AA events.
- Speak about AA to professionals who have contact with alcoholics (school counselors, judges, social workers, clergy, etc).
- Get training (and help train others) on how to speak at non-AA meetings.
- Spend time with a doctor and bring them to an open meeting to help them understand AA.
- Help bring a meeting into a correctional facility.
- Help make AA literature available in correctional facilities.
- Correspond with inmates reaching out for help.
- Take an inmate to a meeting when they’re released.
The General Service Representative is perhaps the most important role in AA. If your group doesn’t have a GSR already, consider bringing it up at your next business meeting. It is through the GSR that each group has a voice and a vote in larger AA matters. This connection helps keep AA unified, both in a practical sense and spiritually. We wouldn’t last long as a fellowship if it weren’t for the service of GSRs.
- Make AA literature available at events within Area 50
Raise awareness within SENY about the Grapevine/La Viña (our “meeting-in-print”) as a tool of recovery.
Encourage members to contribute to the Grapevine/La Viña.
Email The Literature + Grapevine
- Speak to high school and college students about AA.
- Make sure AA literature is available in public libraries (the Big Book is stolen more than any other book!).
- Coordinate informational outreach like radio PSAs.
- Speak about AA at workshops for the public, or at health fairs.
- Help bring a meeting or literature into treatment facilities, like rehabs, detoxes, outpatient centers, and hospitals.
- Bring people who have finished treatment to a meeting when they get out.
- Help with web & graphic design.
- Help with updating events, page content using the WordPress environment.
- Help with copy writing & content management.
- Support Area 50 Secretaries with email service application.
- Email setup and support for Area Chairs